Saturday, January 01, 2005

New Year's Day - Hellos

To continue explaining the tradition, this is what happens on the flip side:
Once it becomes the new year and we watch the ball drop, kiss our husbands and regain our composure we say "hello" to all the new things to come in the new year. These are things, like my new job, that will begin in 2005. Or Mary's baby that will come in 2005. There are always those that slip through the cracks, like Joshua. Last New Year's Eve we didn't yet know he was coming so we couldn't say hello to him appropriately. Since he already came in 2004 it's not quite right to say hello to him for 2005 either. But we did say hello so that he was appropriately welcomed. And of course, if you didn't already imagine, each hello and goodbye is done with a sip of our drink. Turns out the goodbyes weren't so bad and we didn't have as many hellos as we expected. Anyway, here's to a much improved 2005 for all!

3 comments:

Tracy said...

I thought of some goodbyes we missed...goodbye to Point O' Woods and Goodbye Little Sebago! Also, goodbye to Building Blocks, at least Paige's pre-school days and goodbye to Paige being an only child. Goodbye Tom Brokaw as a nightly staple. I just think the goodbyes weren't as bad as we thought because it was not quite the right mood for goodbyes, but I know I had a long ride home reflecting on our goodbyes to myself. I know my personal goodbye was the hardest I've had yet. But, I am hoping we will be saying a Ukrainian hello (maybe the term the handbook might use for an unexpected hello) to a new baby for me and Jeff sometime this year!

Susan said...

I was very sad that I didn't do Hellos and Goodbyes with you guys last night...I did them to myself in my head while playing poker last night....

And was thinking of you all and wishing you a happy new year!!

Suzie said...

Point O' Woods - that's a hard one!
We wish you were there too Susan! Maybe next year.
I really think someone should starting writing the handbook, we've needed it a lot lately!