Monday, January 21, 2008

Re-run

This is an old post, borrowed from January 18th 2005. As we celebrate Martin Luther King day again I thought it would be good to re-run it and enjoy the humor again.

Martin Luther King Day
I was trying to give Paige an appreciation of the man, the holiday and why she had the day off of school. And if you know me you know that "justice for ALL" is a big thing with me. I could not agree more with Dr King's statement of judging a man by the content of his character not the color of his skin. And because of certain events in my past it is really important that I teach this lesson to my children. That said, I was telling her about how there were separate schools and separate restaurants and punctuating each of these with "Isn't that CRAZY?!" And Paige would say, "Yeah, that's CRAZY!!" And so when I was finished she said, "So like if we were out to eat with Daddy, because you know-Daddy is kinda black, only let's pretend that Daddy wasn't just kinda black, let's pretend he was all black, and they said we couldn't eat with Daddy, that would be CRAZY!" I was laughing so hard I almost peed my pants! I let her know that Daddy isn't black, he's "olive" skinned. But she was exactly right in her example. And I was glad that she got the point of my stories. It's funny the things kids pick up on all on their own though.

2 comments:

Sally said...

Ya, that story never gets old! I seem to remember there was a story Zachary came home with once. He was in kindergarten and now I cant remember exactly. It was like he came home saying a girl had been kicked off off HIS bus because she was black. Or maybe he was saying someone on the bus got shot. Ya I think that was it. I remember driving him to school the next day to find out what was going on and she explained they were learning about Rosa Parks and MLK and all the things that went on back then.
Hehehehe. Cant wait for those storys again with the little kids!

Evil Dahlia said...

Be sure to tell Chris, "Sup gangsta" and give him the head jerk-nod. Oh...and "peace out" might be something he'll appreciate.

Too funny...kids say the damndest things!