Monday, June 30, 2008

the time has come

Summer mornings are in a way harder than school mornings when getting the kids ready. I know they are always tired so I let them sleep in as long as they need to and then we start the process. But since we don’t have to get anywhere by a certain time there isn’t as much urgency. So it all takes 3-4x times as long. I say “get dressed” “put on your shoes” “brush your teeth” many more times than normal. So today there isn't much in the way of clean clothes beucase we have been away camping. And if you ask Paige, there is never any clean clothes. I have to stop at Wal-mart on the way so I told her to make the best of it becuase she coudln't go into the store in her "Live Strong, Be Strong, Write Strong" oversized t-shirt that she slept in. After getting Joshy out of the tub and fending off Ally while doing it (normally tubs are at night but he didn't get one and needed to wash the camping off him) I hear Paige playing her guitar in her room with the door shut (hate shut doors). Me: "Are you dressed Paige?" Paige: "I don't have any shirts and I am watching Backyardigans to calm me down." Me: "To calm you down because you are so angry that you don't have any clean shirts?" Paige: "Yes." Me: "Today I am going to teach you how to do the laundry and you are going to start washing your clothes by yourself."

And now at 9:32 I still have to go to Wal-mart and drop them off. And then come home to a mountain of laundry, sleeping bags that need a home and oh yeah, cleaning an entire bottle of baby powder off of the "playroom" floor and the various assorted toys which are now covered in white powder.

I have said it before and I'll say it again, I don't know how anyone raises a child to adulthood without becoming and alcoholic!

3 comments:

Sally said...

I hope teaching how to do laundry will go better for you than it did me. I was tired of washing all Zacharys clothes he hadnt even worn (but dirty cuz they "fell" out of his drawers and sat on the floor and are now covered in dog hair. Id be washing summer clothes in the middle of winter and vice versa. So as punishment, had had to wash his own and if he had no clothes at the end of the week that was his problem. Unfortunaly for me, it didnt last very long. He was over stuffing the machine, and also using too much soap doing more damage than good. After yelling at him 50x, I gave up and did it myself.

Suzie said...

Oh I'm sure it will be a nightmare. I go through the same thing. I wash clothes over and over again that she never wears but puts on the floor rather than in her drawers so they are walked on or covered in cat hair. So it's not my problem she has no clothes when she treats them that way. But I am held responsible and treated like the bad servant for not keeping her crap up to date. I'm so freaking sick of it.

Evil Dahlia said...

While I feel for both of you with the clothes issue, I am relieved that my children are not the only ones who would rather throw clean clothes back in the hamper than put them away. I was beginning to think my kids were the only lazy ones with regard to that issue! I've also threatened to make Kaila do her own laundry, but I am wondering if it's cheaper just to do it myself. Knowing Kaila she'll wash everything and anything, overloading the washer and use way too much soap. I can't begin to tell you how many Barbie outfits I wash in a week. I had no idea Barbie was such a slob!