Monday, November 28, 2005

Oldies

So as I scan through the stations on the radio and it passes 102.9 I am shocked at what passes as "oldies" lately. I guess this is mostly a problem I have with my perception of what is considered an oldie. To me it does not represent songs that are X number of years old. To me oldies will always be Motown, Doo-wop songs from the early 60s, maybe even a little Bill Haley and other late 50s songs as well. The Platters, the Shirelles, Percy Sledge. An oldie is NOT Cyndi Lauper, the Eurthimics or the Rolling Stones (despite their age). It is not Huey Lewis or Fleetwood Mac. This really isn't a fight against being old, I'm 35 and that's fine. I just think they're categorizing their music in an odd way. Maybe they're changing their image or playlist or whatever it's called. But to me "Big D 103" will always be oldies and those songs just don't fit the bill.

1 comment:

Tracy said...

I agree! "Oldies" covers specific music, a certain sound...not how much time has gone by since it was on the charts. They need to come up with a different name for music that has gone by like "80's hit list" or something, and Big D 103 should stick with the actual Oldies...you turn it on to hear someone sing a simple and catchy "Doo-wop" or a "Yeah, yeah, yeah" kind of song.