Sunday, February 24, 2008

Our First Big Wound





So we had our first experience with a big time wound this weekend. While I was out running errands with Paige and Chris was home with the kids Ally fell down the stairs and split her forhead open. I was calling home to see if he wanted anything from Starbucks and he called me at the same time (2:40) and said something like "You have to come home right away, Ally fell down the stairs and we need to take her to the hospital." Of course I freaked out and drove about 90 mph from Windsor Locks to our house. When we pulled down the street Chris and Joshy were standing at the end of the driveway. Chris was holding Ally who looked limp in his arms. I was freaking out! But she perked up soon after. The wound had stopped bleeding which was scary though and was quite open like a puncture wound. We got to Johnson around 3:00 and she was seen around 3:20. It took quite a while after they took her in to actually get someone to attend to her but they were slammed for a country hospital on a Sunday afternoon. I have never seen that many people in their waiting room before. Chris came out and got a diaper for her and said they were going to have to do 3 stitches. To do this they wrapped her in a big sheet like a burrito and had Chris and 2 nurses aids hold her down while they did the stitches. I guess the first one was ok, but she really lost it by the 2nd one and then they still had to do another. Chris reminded me that they also had to put the sterile drape over her face so she was basically covered by a tarp and was crying so much you couldn't even hear her anymore. I couldn't have done that - good thing it was him and not me. I sat chatting with the other waiting room people and keeping the 2 older kids entertained. She was a trooper. Poor little girl! I guess when she was finished Chris asked her if she was ok and she turned to the doctor and said "Thank you." She's been ok since, immediately after pointing to her head and saying "Fall down stairs." Today she took her band-aid off a few times but she hasn't been picking at it yet and has been really good about the whole thing.
Here are some pictures of:
  1. her nice forehead a few days before it was wounded (probably the last picture ever without a scar),

  2. a picture of the wound at the ER pre-stitches

  3. a picture of the stitches

  4. sleeping comfortably with her band-aid.

3 comments:

Sally said...

Poor little Ally Bean! Glad shes ok now!

Trinity & Brooke said...

OMG. I am so glad that she is ok. I cannot imagine how you all felt....scared! She is a trooper. I am amazed that she thanked the doctors. She is too darn cute.

Evil Dahlia said...

Poor baby and her battle wound!! I'm glad she pulled through OK and was such a trooper! Too cute that she thanked the doc!! She looks like a little angel all bundled up in her bed! I remember when Kaila had stitches when she was about 2 (for a dog bite to the face), my parents took her to the ER and they told me she had to be wrapped up like that as well. I think that's more traumatic than the stitches! She's still cute, scar or not!!