Monday, July 18, 2005

Damn Fools

Do you know what bothers me about smoking? Well I supposed I have, obviously, many reasons. The first one is that I saw my mother bleed to death, out of her mouth, becuase the lung cancer ate through her aorta and it exploded. Code blue, lights flashing, people running, and blood everywhere. The last look on my mother's face to me that of helpless, scared confusion. I guess that would be the number one reason why I hate it. I have to live with that image forever. Oh, and now you do too. Good! Maybe it will make you stop smoking. But that's just it. All the idiots that I care about, who knew and cared for my mother are still smoking. (With one exception of Sonja, apparantly the smartest person I know.) But seriously, what is it with the escapism?!?!?! Life gets stressful, and people drop everything to smoke. Oh man the kids are driving me crazy...I'm going to smoke. I'm having such a hard day at work...I'm going to smoke. But you know what the rest of us have to do when life gets stressful? DEAL WITH IT! Through hard times and bad days and death and crisis. The rest of us just have to cope and handle it and carry on with nothing more than the mental capacity we were given at birth. I'm so sick of people taking a break from their lives to do something that will certainly kill them but will also, NOT REDUCE THEIR STRESS. It just makes you a more edgey, stressed out kind of a person. Hello?? What is there not to get. Why is this so freaking hard?!?!?!

I know I'm on a Harry Potter binge and all right now but if I could just take the memory and the vision of that night and the days that followed of sleeplessness and wretching and feeling more alone than I ever knew possible and put it into Dumbledore's Pensieve for others to watch and experience I'm pretty sure we'd have solved the smoking problem in this country.

6 comments:

Jacque Jo said...

Hi ... I just came across your blog and had to post. I'm so sorry you had to see that with your mother. I had to watch my grandfather die of cancer, caused by smoking. The last weeks of his life, he'd pause the breathing treatments (he had emphyzema so bad he couldn't breathe) he could light up his Camel filterless, smoke two, and go back.

I'm with you ... I don't get it.

The June Cleaver Diaries said...

My mom has been smoking since before I was born. My dad's sister died from lung cander a few months back. Guess what my mom did right after the funeral?

Had a smoke. UNbelievable.

Susan said...

Are you talking specifically about your husband when you say "damn fools"?? Or someone else that smokes??? ~ps....and good for Sonja...~I don't get the smoking thing either...but I get the addicted to caffeine thing and I guess it's kind of the same on some level...not a kill your lungs, death level...but I would say I definitely reach for a coke when I'm stressed out...I don't know...I guess some people will never learn...

Sue

Suzie said...

Yeah, it was pretty much my husband sneaking one of his brothers smokes that got me into the fury to write it. But seriously, I mean my sister, my father, my mother-in-law, my aunt...anyone who knew my mother and watched it too. Why didn't they get it? Why didn't they learn her lesson? Thanks everyone for your comments.

Susan said...

I can't believe how many people in your family smoke...It must just bring it all right back to you...(I'm very surprised your sister still smokes)...don't know why that surprises me more than the others..maybe because they are older and more "in the habit"...Maybe they still smoke because they didn't see what you saw...It's really too bad...

Suzie said...

Yeah, I'm totally at a loss. She did quit for a while but is now back smoking. I think she hides it from Z though. I guess we're all going to die, and that's their point. But does it have to be so miserable?